Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The earth is bipolar

I stole the headline from a Steven Wright performance we saw last weekend. He must have done 250 one-liners in 90 minutes. Another good one: “I blame the ending of the cold war for global warming.”

It is a polar world: black/white, ying/yang, Beatles/Stones, Warren/Niles, Pepsi/Coke. Choices have to be made, and I’m finding that this is also true with writing. For the past 18 months the Daily Blank has focused primarily on politics. That was easy during the elections because we had the horse race and the personalities, on top of policy and performance, to discuss.

But now that we’re deep into fixing the world, I find that my heart really isn’t in it so much anymore. I still read the papers every day, but writing about it is depressing. Pretty much everyone is either a crook, an influence peddler, a political pimp, or a thief. And they are all liars. Every story is, at its heart, the story of how people with money and power use it to accumulate more money and power, at the expense of the weak and stupid. Writing about it just brings out my inner grumpy old man – and frankly, I don’t need any encouragement in that department.

I want to keep writing, but I want to write about other things. The question is, “what?” They always say, “write about what you know about” but who’d want to read about putting together a sales presentation and pricing model. I think I’d bore myself to death before I proof-read it. I was considering writing a post called “Eight great places to get a martini in Manhattan,” and I still may write that one. I think the drinks would be tax-deductible.

My stated reason for starting this blog in the first place was that, “I have more opinions than opportunities to express them,” and the nice thing about politics is you can state your opinions and, especially in an election year, receive plenty of feedback. But a steady flow of personal opinions on movies, books, or anything else, begins to sound like a lot of self-indulgent horse hockey pretty quickly to me, and my own wouldn’t be any exception to that rule.

I need to think about this for a while, so this will be my last post until I come up with a new plan. Feel free to respond with suggestions, as I value your opinions. This is the 220th post on the Daily Blank. Thanks to all of you for showing up and contributing to the conversation.

Hasta luego amigos.

15 comments:

warrenout said...

The drinking of the brown and being part of a blues festival you will have that.Although I came along late I have enjoyed the posts.Dennis, you definately went out on top with your 6-part expose'Great Read. Know why you are pondering life in your 60's and on a short sabatical here are some ideas. You brother Jack, should be worth a few easy scribes especially next winter when he will be wintering in the snow capital of the northeast. I think there is plenty of fodder watching a 50 plus year old man take on 12 inches of snow in a Buick.I like the idea of liquor critic maybe add some credible single barrel bourbons and leave that KT for the strong of heart.A whole commentary on things to do when you are dead.A posting of all of the good deals you can get. coffee deals/senior tees/AAA.I know there is a whole host of RX meds designed for your age that you could try and report on.I think you could write a nice commentary on what a college campus looks like to you now sort of a minister of culture. Dennis, don't be so blue remember the statistics. you have a better chance of reaching 80 than a 40 year old.Mb

Unknown said...

Ain't it true. Understanding the preciousness of time is the wisdom side of the aging process. Dealing with loss is the well of infinite sorrow. We need to drink from that well if we aren't to die young. Time will we lost to chasing our tails, hopefully not too much. The thing to do is ride time like a pair of skis. Embrace the moment. It is all we have.

We are all fools but some of us can't get over hearing ourselves talk. Better to spend our time experiencing or making a worthy contribution to a community. Though the walls are getting closer, there are still options to live dreams.

Thanks for the journey,
Hank

jb said...

Although I enjoy your missives, politics is boring even though I find it interesting. Everybody is a liar ect.

There is one writer that I HAVE to read because he alway brings happy tears to my eyes - Rick Reilly formally at SI and now at ESPN.

He writes about real people and their struggles in the world.

What ever you decide, just don't stop writing.

I had dinner tonight with Scott and a friend of mine. My friend loves this blog.

I previously shared with him Charly's essays.

Write about people. Love ya bro

The Nik said...

I must say I'm a little disappointed, but definitely in a selfish way. I started "blogging" on my Geocities webpage when I moved to Arizona in 1998, but I quickly found it tedious and my ADD got the best of me. Kudos to you for making it to 220 posts! I found your blog back in January and wish I had stumbled on it sooner. We'll come up with some topics in August for sure... whether or not we remember them all the next morning will be a different story! Thanks for the entertainment, uncle Dennis!

jb said...

warrenout,

I can't wait for my first snow fall. It is supposded to be 102* tommorrow. jb

Anonymous said...

Dennis,

You have a gift, and I am grateful to you for sharing it with us. Whether you realize it or not, your blog represents a wonderful legacy to your children and loved ones who get to step inside of your mind with every posting. Here's hoping you rediscover your inner muse in a way that gives you joy.

nigel

fenway said...

WHAH! Although I must say I saw it coming. I'll miss you and your friends (as I have over the last couple of months) but agree the toing, froing and screaming in the political world make me want to peel my skin off. I'll look forward to periodic alerts to check your blog for occasional pearls. xo

Gaga said...

Wow, talk about a post party letdown. DB, i'd say take some time off but,......
I'd like to keep this going. My suggestion, just give topics, things you do care about. Lets tell stories, not give opinions. The memory motel isnt a bad place to visit as long as we dont live there. Other topics: baked bean recipes, golf tip of the week, barbara walters? would you? , heaven? worth the work? , death? any other choices? , is minnie really fucking goofy?
See you in september.

rsb said...

One of my favorite Steven Write quotes is…
”It’s a small world, but I wouldn’t want to paint ‘it’”.

Consider it taking the summer off Dennis. Kick back in a hammock, examine your navel. Then in the fall start up again.

BTW, a publicist I know wants me to write a book regarding some of the 76 famous people I’ve met by happenstance. My concern is……who would want to read “it”. (Since she’s had a very successful career it’s hard to ignore her persistence.)

Of course the first famous person I met our whole family met at the same time. We were all at the Pittsburgh airport and either we came up Phyllis Diller or she came up to us.

“They are so adorable” as she squeezed my chin. How old are they she asked.

Twelve, ten, six (me) and four Mom quickly answered.

What happened to eight was Ms. Diller’s next question.

“That’s the year we got television” Mom quipped.

Phyllis Diller laughed her famous laugh and the next time she was on the Johnny Carson show she worked it into her routine.


Having just reread the above…I don’t think going to start on the book anytime soon.

d'blank said...

Thanks everyone for the comments and the support. I’d have never made it to even 100 posts without them. And I don’t plan on shutting down completely. I probably never should have called this the Daily Blank, which set an unrealistic standard. I just don’t have something to say every day, which I’m sure you all realized long ago. I’ll let you know when there is something new either via Facebook or email. If you want to get the email alert and aren’t already on the list, just let me know at dennisblank@hotmail.com and I’ll put you on. The summer may be slow – there are martinis to drink and golf to be played- but I’ll definitely be back.

jb said...

Facebook? Sorry, I don't know what that is. jb

Gaga said...

First, this years Superbowl. Now the Stanley Cup. What if the Burg had a basketball team? Go Pirates!

kgwhit said...

I suspect the Burg will have a long wait for the Pirates.

Anonymous said...

DB-Crap, Ramon just turned me on to this, and I have to say this is some good weed. I think I'll have to start taking you seriously again. I'm serious. BB

Woody said...

I will miss the blog. I was tempted to take a shot at Mudcat being on Facebook but I will refrain. Enjoy the sabbatical!