Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sports Thursday. The return of LeBron

I had an email from Buzzard at the crack of dawn this morning bemoaning the hypocrisy of the NCAA letting Cam Newton off so easy. I’m not bothered so much by that. The big hypocrisy is the way the NCAA, the Division I schools and the bowls siphon off all the dough while the players get pay equal to below minimum wage, based on the free education they get in return. I’m not sure whether there should be quotation marks around the word “free” or “education” in the previous sentence. If I were King of All Sports the college players would be paid – above the table.

On a similar note, I loved what Hines Ward said about the NFL yesterday – and I don’t usually go out of my way to praise wearers of the black and gold. He lambasted the NFL for claiming that they are fining players for hitting too hard as a means of protecting them, while at the same time pushing the players’ union to accept an expansion of the schedule to 18 games next year.

Now I’m sure Hines’ words were motivated in part by how hard the Steelers have been hit with these fines, but it’s hard to argue with him. The NFL has been stiffing former players for years over health care benefits and fought reforms tooth and nail until the science related to head trauma became overwhelming. I’ll never forget the high school practice in 1965 when Charles White hit me with a forearm to the helmet that made me see stars. I can’t imagine what an accumulation of blows like that might do to someone. I may even have a little lasting trauma myself. Why, I’ll never forget the high school practice in 1965 when Charles White hit me with a forearm to the helmet that made me see stars. I can’t imagine what an accumulation of blows like that might do to someone. I may even have a little lasting trauma myself.

But the big sports news today is that it’s 29 degrees with snow showers in Cleveland this afternoon – although the wind makes it feel like it’s 19. Meanwhile, it’s 73 and sunny in Miami. I don’t know what my fellow Cavs fans have in store for LeBron’s return this evening but it better be good if it’s going to overcome the 44 degree swing between his former and current homes. Personally, I think the Heat’s record is justice enough. I swore off the NBA immediately after LBJ announced he was “taking his talent to Miami,” but I have to peak in this evening.

Finally, I’m heading to Miami myself for the weekend. I’ve got Browns v. Dolphins tickets on the 50 yard line and pre-game field passes so I can get right down there and feel completely inadequate.

15 comments:

fenway said...

More later re the NFL (it may not surprise you to know I have an opinon). Here's what I hope happens in Cleveland tonight: no booing, I want them all laughing at him.

BB said...

DB- The Charles White forearm shiver explains alot. Glad you stopped playing when you did. Fenway's scenario sure would be fun, but I think that Cleveland will turn out to boo the crap out him every time he gets his hands on the ball.

kgwhit said...

Most schools arrange for their players to get paid in college. I played in a DC summer league in early 70's. After a game one of the University of Maryland players asked me if I could tell him how to get to Beltsville Supply...it was pre google maps. I told him and asked what he needed. He said he had to pick up the check he receives for his summer job. Don't know about most people but I don't think I've ever received a paycheck from a company that I had no idea where they were.
The player went on to a long career in the NBA and last I heard was an announcer for the Dallas Mavericks.
It would be great if the Cavs fans were completely quiet whenever the King did anything or touched the ball. Imagine his being introduced and not a peep is heard in the arena.

reedo49 said...

Ask yourself where LeBron would be right now if he could not shoot a basketball. He would be just another punk from Akron. He can shoot a basketball, so as we found out this summer, he is a rich punk from Akron. I hope the Cavs fans don't waste their breath on him tonight-he is nothing more than 90% of all professional athletes-self centered and greedy.

Birdman said...

I'm not sure the sort of nuanced sarcasm you guys are recommending are in the typical Cleveland fan's tool box. It would be great though.

The only thing that would bring down more scorn would be if LBJ walked onto the court carrying Art Modell on his shoulders.

DB, you're just lucky Schumacher didn't hit you in the dome.

Woody said...

I have not watched a minute of NBA basketball but I will watch tonight. I heard one TV pundit say the Cleveland fans should be nice and cheer for LBJ. He must have been a member of LBJ's posse or angling for an exclusive interview. As d'blank can attest, I never ever bought into the King James coronation. He pales in comparison to Michael Jordan, Kareem and Magic. Fans in Cleveland do not like being kicked in the teeth by Art Modell or LBJ. So bring it on Cleveland and let LBJ know how you really feel. No violence though, just old fashioned gut cleansing boos.

d'blank said...

Woody was wrong about this, btw, for 5-6 years, until he was right -- sometime during the Boston series last year.
I am with him on the booing though. All that other stuff might be fine in California or Minnesota, but it's to cute for Cleveland.

Unknown said...

Are these the same people who went to Hiram with me? Allow me to smack you all in the back of the head.

Life is not fair. If it turns out to be so, don't confuse luck for an eternal plan, wealth, goodness and salvation. 150 years ago LBJ would have been picking cotton and I would have been studying the torah.

d'blank said...

@Hank...but it isn't, and you aren't.

jb said...

Can we STOP calling him King James?

d'blank said...

Well, that was enough of NBA basketball to hold me for another year or so.

fenway said...

One last NBA comment d'B: Woody: what about Bird?

Woody said...

Fenway, Bird was great and would have been even greater if he had not developed serious back injuries. His all-out style of play shortened his career. The NBA Finals with Bird/Celtics versus Magic/Lakers will never be surpassed for pure excitement and fan enjoyment. The Celtics won because Bird willed his team to win, something Lebron has been unable to do.

oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

oakleyses said...

chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, jimmy choo shoes, birkin bag, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, vans outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, p90x workout, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, ugg outlet, asics shoes, celine handbags, ghd, nike huarache, bottega veneta, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, ugg boots, nike trainers, ugg soldes, marc jacobs outlet, beats headphones, hollister, mont blanc pens, reebok shoes, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, longchamp, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, roshe run, ugg, canada goose outlet, uggs on sale