Friday, March 12, 2010

Life 3.0 (#4)


One of the biggest lies about not having to do the old 9-to-5 everyday is that you’ll have time to do everything else. That is so not true I hardly know where to begin. My daughter is in town this week and that has been enough to throw me completely off kilter.

It’s been almost a week since I last posted and my only excuse is we went to Disney World yesterday. Since that’s what’s top-of-mind let me say that DW has seen better days. I don’t think there was anything new there since I last visited about 10 years ago. They had the same lame jokes in the haunted house as back then. Space Mountain is more 2001 Space Odyssey than Avatar. The hallowed grounds remain nearly spotless, but kind of tired looking. And those Disney logistical-tricks of making you think you’re in a short line when it is actually longer than the one in Islamabad to sign-up for the 76-virgin-after-life were very tiresome. That was my last trip. Someone else can take my grandkids if I ever have any; I’ll buy them their first drink instead.

So how do you like the new Life 3.0 logo? I think it is spectacular and I owe a million thanks to my former Time colleague Syndi Becker for the design. I think it is perfectly evocative of the topic, and very smart looking. Syndi is the best!

The new logo coincides with some big news. Life 3.0 is now its own media brand and will appear weekly on the web site What’s Next – which is for people actively engaged in finding a new career or pastime. Click the link to the What’s Next home page and scroll down a little to our new blog. Coach Lou and I are taking our act there but will continue to do a less formal version of it here, too. What’s Next has a lot more traffic than The Daily Blank so Lou and I are hopeful that it will turbo-charge or path towards an appearance on The Today Show. Stay tuned for developments.

The same old political BS will continue here until you just can’t take it any longer.

5 comments:

rsb said...

The big lie regarding having more time since you are not working the old 9-5 reminds me of the saying,

“If you want something done, give it to a busy man.”

fenway said...

Yay on the same old political bs. Yay for the new log. Yay on the new posting site. Yay on the new lease on life. I'm with you on the 'there is no time to get half of what I want to get done, done'. I'm a quarter retired and with no mental responsibility when I leave the store but I am hard-pressed to see and do everything and everyone I want to. Enjoy. Didn't we have part of a corporate sales meeting at DW? Yes we did. Isn't that when they introduced "The Plan". Or as I preferred "The Effing Plan".

Coach Lou said...

One great thing about life after 9-5 is you don't have to go to sales meetings at DW or trade shows in Vegas. Don't tell me you liked those!

Life after work is the opportunity to STOP doing. STOP getting "stuff" done. Relax, plan your big TADA and enjoy the ride. Hopefully the lines will be short and the thrill will be more than you imagined. That is where I am heading and I plan to take you along with me.

Join us at WN to see how far we get.

SC transplant said...

I checked out "What's Next" and think it is great! Way to go at keeping us Boomers on our toes.

Coach Lou, I'd like to tag along!

Unknown said...

I've always felt that the proportion of babyboomers to the rest of the economy would depress the value of their assets upon their divestments in retirement. Add that to the current economic collapse and you have lots of BBs thinking smaller.

Luckily, there is no 1:1 correlationship of weath to contentment. However, health and contentment correlate more closely.