Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cleveland, Wall Street and an endoscopy

As the poet once wrote:

Cleveland city of light city of magic
Cleveland city of light you're calling me

Someday the world may agree, but not this week.

I read “The Big Short” by Michael Lewis this week and can recommend it without reservation, but with two warnings. The first is that it is fairly technical. When you finish you will have a much better understanding of the difference between CDO’s and CDS’s, and you’ll learn the importance of tranches and how Goldman Sachs and other thieving Wall Street bastards used them to obfuscate their schemes to defraud their customers and dupe the ratings agencies.

Lewis worked as a bond trader at the old Solomon Brothers twenty years ago and wrote his first best seller, “Liar’s Poker” based on his experience there. In the opening pages of “The Big Short” he talked about how the wretched excesses of the early ‘80’s on Wall Street shocked him, and how sure he was that they were ripe for a fall. He admits to finding that notion quaint today in light of what was to come.

This leads me to the second warning. This book is likely to make you angry, depressed, or both. (I finished it the same day as game five of the Cavs-Celtics series, so imagine how I felt!) Lewis tells the story of the sub-prime mortgage melt down through the words of a half dozen professional investors who saw it all coming, told anyone who would listen for several years, withstood the ridicule and scorn their opinions brought down on them, and ultimately, made hundreds of millions of dollars by betting on their beliefs.

Lewis puts to final rest the fantasy espoused by Wall Street CEO’s and government officials that the meltdown was an event of such unforeseeable randomness that no one could possibly be blamed for not having seen it coming. It also removes any doubts about the rapacious disregard Wall Street had (and has to this day) for its customers, its shareholders, and for the good of the country. And it kills the myth of the “Wall Street genius.” They might be able to kick your ass on an SAT test, but only a collection of stupendously dumb shits could have produced the end result brought about by Goldman and their imitators. Hundreds belong in jail. I hope they go and I hope they get remedial math classes while they are there.

Lewis is a wonderful writer and makes the story feel like you are reading it in real time.

I’m going back on the road for a while; I’m driving north for the summer, stopping for three rounds of golf in South Carolina, dinner in Charlotte, baseball and an endoscopy in Winston-Salem (don’t ask), and a couple of other fun things before I get to New York just in time to clean up and head out again for my daughter’s graduation in Boston. I may be out of touch for a while, but feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Assuming the position for a fellow Kappa?

Wasn't it Randy Newman who said those words in Burn On? Did he take it from someone else?

Re: Wall Street. I like my broker. He is the oxymoron: an honest broker. That said, in retrospect, stocks are sanctioned off track betting. I should have bought real estate. Though risky and problematic, it is actually real.

d'blank said...

Stockbrokers aren't the problem. they have real people for customers and their reputation is their most important asset. it is/was the bond traders who caused this havoc. the size of the bond market is many multiples the size of the stock market. therefore ex-bond traders run the show and they are soulless.

fenway said...

d'b: Still wondering why you'll be in Northampton this summer. Aside from the lesbian issue.

d'blank said...

Fenway -- do I need a second reason?

fenway said...

Since you all like PD James I bet you'd like Elizabeth George. Her characters, the very upper class Detective Inspector Lynley and his not-so-upper-class Sgt. Havers are multi-dimensional. Oh, she was born in Warren Ohio.

I also have quite enjoyed most of Linda Fairstein's sex crime novels - set in Manhattan. Like her characters a lot.

d'blank said...

Fenway -- do you know that Warren, Ohio is my home town? I can't believe you found this woman. I'll have to read her now. I looked her up. she looks much younger than me and seems to have moved away before adulthood.

Gaga said...

DB, Wikipedia says susan elizabeth george was born in Warren in 1949. She didnt leave town til she was 18. So she's our age. Looking younger than you is another story. I dont have a clue who she is so far.

AY said...

Never read the books, but the PBS Mystery series on Inspector Lynley were fabulous! My books-to-read list is getting way too long -- stop, already.

d'blank said...

is she in our yearbook? maybe she went to JFK. will check with Buzzard.

Birdman said...

Just got War by Sebastian Junger (The Perfect Storm). Already can't put it down and anxious to get back to it when I do. Also got Matterhorn. I'm anticipating a good read here as well.

fenway said...

BTW: Eliz George left Ohio for SF when she was 18 MONTHS old.

fenway said...

More . . . so Sarah Jessica (in love with her) was on Morning Joe this am (she didn't even so much as look at that idiot Mika). She told Joe she had a preconceived notion of his ideology but found him to be more nuanced in his beliefs than she thought. She told him she'd watched him fall in love with Obama during the campaign. My point, d'b, is we all watched as you did, too! Hopeful we can all come around to that feeling again.

d'blank said...

Let's hope for something good to happen.

Birdman said...

I'll settle for something horrible not happening. Seems like every time I turn around one of the bags of dog sh*t the Bush Administration left in the white house when they left bursts into flames.

Fenway -- I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Mika Brizinski is an idiot. She's right up there with William Kristol and Peggy Noonan. And just to keept things fair and balanced Ed Schultz and Keith Olberman are preening, self important boobs.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.