Monday, May 10, 2010

"This is ridiculous"

At various times during the 2008 Presidential campaign, in moments of frustration, Barack Obama would tell David Axelrod that someday he would write a book about the election and the title would be “This is Ridiculous.” This is according to “Game Change,” by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann. Many of you probably read it already, this due to my inadvertently putting myself on the wait list at the library for the large print version, which in Florida can add substantially to the wait time.

But I had to read it. I started The Daily Blank in January 2008, not to be specifically about the election, but inevitably, we spent a lot of time on the topic and I followed it more closely than any before it. We all were very invested in the process that year, and this book does a wonderful job of recapping the major events and giving them a perspective that was impossible to have as the events were taking place.

The book is remarkable in several ways. It is eminently readable, and manages to infuse drama into a narrative in which the reader knows the outcome. Some of its most sensational revelations have been well reported since it was published in January of this year, but they are all the more sensational when read in the context of the story arc. Some of the event and conversations the authors reveal are stunning; so much so one has to wonder about the accuracy, but I’m aware of no challenges to anything reported in the book, and after four months without a law suit or a major hissy fit I think we can assume they got it right.

However, as enjoyable as it was to read on one level, I ultimately found the book depressing. It not only confirms, but amplifies, the impression I have of Presidential politics as being more theater than substance.

Obama, Clinton and McCain were stars. Like Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, or Jack Nicholson. They hired professional political consultants who acted as their producers, script writers, marketers, and road managers. They cast various lesser politicians in supporting roles based more on their images rather than their abilities. They wrote different scripts for different audiences. They counter-program the way executives at NBC do against CBS. The press did its part by reviewing the shows they produced 24/7; building audiences without offering much insight into the show’s meanings or purpose.

If more than ten pages of the book were devoted to issues of political substance, I’d be surprised, but then, why should they have done so? That would have been beside the point. It would have seemed ridiculous.

13 comments:

kgwhit said...

It was a great read and it confirmed that running for political office on a statewide or national level is more about marketing than politics.
This morning it was reported that Obama was ready to vote for Roberts' confirmation to the supreme court until advised that it would not help his campaign for President.
Kagan will get almost no Republican votes for the court because it could doom getting re-elected. Utah has sent a shiver down the spine, if politicians have a spine, of every republican running in 2010.
When Bennett is too liberal, anything less than screaming liar at the President will be considered colaborating with the enemy.

Birdman said...

Running for political office (on a big scale) has always been more about marketing than public policy. When was the last time you heard the words "campaign promise" and not rolled your eyes. We just know more about what goes on now than we used to because the cozy relationship between the press and the campaign seems to have disappeared.

Gaga said...

I dont see myself reading the book. I lost interested after you wrote "depressing." The book sounds like a rewrite of two movies, 1970 somethings "The Candidate" starring Robt Redford & the 1980 something film "Wag the Dog" starring De Niro & Hoffman. All three borrow from Marshall Mcluhans' " The Mediam is the Massage."

But if your in real need of a truely depressing read I just finished Dostoyevsky's "Notes From the Underground." I'm going to lighten things up next with a bottle of Ripple & some Zap Comics.

jreebel said...

Zap comics! You are showing your age. I have a bunch of them, along with The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Mr. Natural, Wonder Warthog, etc. Great stuff.

Unknown said...

I've been reading tea leaves and smoking geezers in foot races. Georgia cast aspersions my way that I am degenerating as I haven't been reading anything with a spine lately. Actually, I have been reading Otto Lang's second edition (1946) of his book, Downhill Skiing. I like it because I know that no one is going to get hurt.

Don't you love politics? You'd never guess whose party is in the White House and has a majority in both houses. I thought I was voting for people who would be worried about the term in office for which I voted in. Did I miss something? Dick Armey, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh weren't even on the ballot.

HH said...

I'm halfway through it and enjoying it thoroughly. Edwards has some balls, and so does Hilary. My mom, the Ohio Republican read it as well, and she enjoyed it as well.

fenway said...

So if I could briefly change the subject? I was just in Charleston and got an interesting history lesson from my brothers you history buffs might enjoy. Briefly we were discussing Charleston's German population during WWI and II. Too much info for here but accounts of German subs that snuck into the harbor (or onto the barrier islands), sailors coming ashore, meetings with locals. One sub blown up - among the debris: a loaf of Clausen's bread (made in Charleston). d'b: next time you're in Charleston my bros will take you to the Hibernian. Your kind of place. They didn't offer. I told them they would. Oh, big discussion also about Pat Conroy. They'll fill you in at the Hibernian.

d'blank said...

Fenway -- I look forward to a return to Charleston and a trip to the bar with your bros. Also, I need a restaurant recommendation in Boston for my daughter's graduation.

fenway said...

d'b Hands down I'd suggest Hammersley's. It's my go-to place for special. 617.423.2700. Don't tarry making reservations. I'll send you the link off-line.

d'blank said...

They were booked but once I dropped your name on 'em a tabled magically opened. Thanks Fenway.

Birdman said...

Fenway -- I'll be in the Holy City at the end of the month for my anniversary. Any restaurant recommendations that the Spoleto crowd won't know about? Been to SNOB, High Cotton, Carolina's and Magnolias.

fenway said...

Bird: I always say High Cotton. But I'll check with my sis-in-law and back to you.

fenway said...

Bird: d'b is sending you the links to two restaurants. You'll really be there during Spoleto? Good luck getting reservations, let me know what happens.