Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blues, pelicans and Super Bowl ads

I was driving to the beach yesterday and about to reach my favorite spot when a song came on the radio that stopped me in my tracks. It had a jungle beat and a powerful, yet sweet, female vocal lamenting that she was “drowning in her own tears.” I was completely captivated. I parked but left the radio on until she’d finished telling her story. The DJ identified her as Robin Rogers – a name I knew.

Last fall both my regular blues podcasts (Roadhouse and Murphy’s Saloon -- see links to right) told how the recently discovered Rogers had just been diagnosed with liver cancer, that her husband and musical partner Tony Rogers had quit playing to take care of her full time and that she had no medical insurance. I sent a check – not enough to get into heaven – but I wanted to be a part of the blues community that was being asked to help out. She died in December just after learning that her last release, “Back in the Fire” had been nominated for a Blues Music Award. The whole album is great but you can try “Ocean of Tears,” the song that snagged me, for only 99 cents. Robin had a hard life, found success late, and then died at 55, but she left something beautiful behind.

Then I watched the pelicans feed for an hour or so. They found a mother-load of fish about 50 yards off shore which attracted more than 100 of the big birds, which look to me like a Disney version of a pterodactyl. The squadron of birds circled a school yard of fish covering about a half an acre, at an altitude of maybe 30 feet. It looked like flying a merry-go-round with every bird tethered to a central axes; but one-by-one the birds paused for a portion of a second, tucked their articulated wings into their bodies, pointed their prehistoric heads and beaks towards the water and dove straight down into the teaming buffet. Bird after bird – 5 or 6 in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds; then a pause for a few seconds and then 3-4 more. Tschoooo. Tschoooo. Tschooo. Then back up into the elevated raceway to spot another fish. There are worse ways to waste an afternoon.

So the Super Bowl was OK -- a pretty good game. The commercials were, as always in my view, overrated. I did like the VW/Darth Vader ad, which was a top pick for lots of people. The Chevy-Camaro-turns-into-a-robot ad was great and the Chevy Cruze/Facebook app ad was very sweet. I loathed the #3 best recall ad for Doritos – “Man licks cheese crumbs.” Haven’t we seen this ad like 5000 times with some other embarrassingly dweeby white dude doing something disgusting and demeaning that shows how much he worships the product? Enough. It had a great recall score but so what? I love the Windell Middlebrooks ads for Miller Beer, but no matter how many times I watch him take the Highlife away from some low-life, it won’t be enough to get me to drink one of their 12 once urine samples in a beer bottle.

******

I’ve been very curious to know how the hundreds of thousands of demonstrators in Cairo knew the logistics of their protests in advance and how those plans were made. The media has mostly credited Facebook and Twitter, which is like given credit to the telephone for the planning of D-Day, but there is an excellent article in the Times today that provides a deeper look into the planning.

13 comments:

CharlyB1102 said...

The other Camaro spot, "Miss Evelyn" was the most-viewed advertisement ever in history at ~120M viewers at that moment.

Birdman said...

I thought the Chrysler ad was very well done. The only downside (for Chrysler anyway) is that I'll bet most people that saw it thought it was put on by the city of Detroit. Big upside for GM though.

I love watch pelicans at the beach. Mainly cause I'm at the beach.

d'blank said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Chrysler/Eminem commercial. It was very emotional. Not sure it will sell a lot of cars but great for Detroit.

kgwhit said...

It might not have been the most effective commercial, but the Bud ad of the guys in the saloon in the old west singing "Tiny Dancers" cracked me up.
The Dorito's ad could have been enough to never eat another one again.
Birdman is right about the Detroit ad...I thought the city is dying and Dave Bing is spending money to advertise at the super bowl, what a waste...then he pointed out to me that it was for Chrysler.

fenway said...

Thanks for looping back to mention the Chrysler/Eminem/Detroit ad. Thought it the best. Good for all concerned. Background: I think they asked Kid Rock who usually does Detroit stuff - can't recall why he didn't do it.

d'blank said...

@ Fenway: I think the Kid is a GM spokesman.

@ KG: if every ad had to work I could never have held a job for 30 years.

Woody said...

I liked the commercial where Faith Hill told the guy to write from the heart. I am going to use that line with my wife's Valentine's Day gift.

Super Bowl Commercials 2012 said...

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, true religion, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, red bottom shoes, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, coach outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, chanel handbags, nike free, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, true religion outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, kate spade outlet online, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, tiffany and co jewelry, christian louboutin outlet

oakleyses said...

baseball bats, nike air max, ray ban, parajumpers outlet, toms outlet, timberland shoes, converse shoes, replica watches, moncler, hollister, lancel, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london uk, wedding dress, louis vuitton canada, ugg, vans, moncler, pandora charms, canada goose uk, louboutin, canada goose, oakley, juicy couture outlet, hollister canada, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, iphone 6 case, ralph lauren, canada goose pas cher, pandora uk, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, converse, swarovski uk, uggs canada, supra shoes, hollister clothing, karen millen, swarovski jewelry, thomas sabo uk, canada goose, air max, gucci, moncler

yanmaneee said...

fila shoes
cheap jordans
jordan retro
vapormax
balenciaga shoes
nmd
cheap jordans
canada goose jacket
michael kors handbags
jordan 13

teeppe said...

t9s54c4y02 u3i80b4v15 y9f23m8g61 n0q51k5j76 i7w09s0x83 k1g24d6q57

Unknown said...

c2r55z3b04 j5e41h4p81 n8j36t3o45 x0u39x1q12 l3g25y1l35 p7a87e9q18