Thursday, September 17, 2009

A joke

St. Peter has a doctor appointment and asks Jesus if he’ll watch the Pearly Gates for him for an hour or so until he gets back.
Jesus says, “Sure – but what do I do?”
“It’s easy” replies St. Pete. “When someone shows up you just look them up in the book to see if they are on the list. If they are, let them in; if not, have them wait on the bench over there until I return.”
“Sounds easy” Jesus relies, and off goes St. Peter. In a matter of minutes the first person comes tottering up the path to the gates. A very feeble old man steps up to Jesus, who asks the old man his name.
“I don’t know.” he says.
Jesus tries another approach: “Well then, where are you from?”
“I don’t know.” the man repeats.
“Well I have to find you in the book or I can’t let you in. Do you remember anything about your life that might help me find you?” Jesus asks.
“Well, I remember that I was a carpenter, and that I had a son, who was greatly admired by millions from the time of his birth.” responded the old man.
Dumbfounded, Jesus opens his arms wide and cries, “father?”
“Pinocchio – is that you?” asked the old man.

I got that joke from Murphy’s Saloon, which continues to be my favorite podcast. If you like the blues I can’t recommend it highly enough. That reminds -- I forgot to give credit for the last joke I posted on 9/3 ...thanks Nigel.

If you are a joke fan, I also recommend the site “Old Jews Telling Jokes.” The jokes are old too, but the delivery makes them well worth hearing again.

Another podcast I’m really enjoying is The Moth. It was started by the southern writer George Dawes Green. Each episode is only about 10 minutes long and consists of a single person telling a personal story, without a script or notes. The stories can be about anything. Recently I listened to a retired NYC detective talk about tracking a fugitive, a guy describing his first trip to Burning Man, and a gay teenager talking about beating up a bully who was tormenting him. They are very personal and real.

I’m looking forward to reading “The Spies of Warsaw,” by Alan Furst. I got interested after reading Steve Dougherty’s piece in last Sunday’s New York Times travel section, in which Steve visited the Warsaw haunts of said spies. Doc is my hero. He has a way of talking editors into sending him to cool places where he can explore his exotic interests on their dime, including St. Petersburg, Russia and a Moroccan music festival.

Are any of you familiar with Studs Terkel’s work? I want to read something by him but I don’t know what to start with. Any ideas?

4 comments:

AY said...

Good one, DB.

"The Good War," recommended by BAM, but I read it anyway. Loved it!

kgwhit said...

I agree with The Good War, it was very good. He had an oral history of the depression, I can't remember the title, but some of those stories were eye opening to me. It helped me to understand what my parents had gone through a little better. Also helped explain why they were so frugal.

jb said...

One last word on health care.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/215301

Kaz said...

I've read two books by Terkel - Race and Working. I particularly like Working.