Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fear & Loathing in Retirement

Work is many things, most of them good. Work offers social interaction, a sense of purpose, intellectual stimulation, health care and a paycheck. Not many things do as much for us. But work is also a form of tyranny. It imposes restraints on our time and our range of self-expression. It imposes deadlines and de facto curfews. It imposes dress codes, modes of behavior and adherence to countless rules of its particular culture that are unwritten and unevenly applied to members of its tribe.

I’ve been retired for two weeks now and it’s all good, but it’s going to take more than a few weeks to adjust to my freedom from the tyranny of 35 years in the harness. When you throw in commuting, I just got an extra 50-60 hours a week given to me and I haven’t quite figured out how to use them yet. There’s a little voice in my head that speaks up 3-4 times a day telling me I’m not making enough progress on my list of things that need to be done, and it takes a few seconds to remind the voice that there’s plenty of time, and that I’m the one setting the timetable now.

For now I’m happy just completing my farewell tour of lunches, dinners, golf and cocktails with assorted pals and business associates who mostly seem happy to pick up the check. I don’t know why golf on Tuesday is so much better than golf on Saturday, but it is. Cocktails remain a joy on all days ending in “y.”

What’s next? Beats me. I feel like I’m still finishing a really long book. It’s about a 1200 page work of non-fiction; alternatively fascinating and tedious, with about 50 pages to go. If it was about someone’s life other than my own I might be tempted to set it aside now and find something more fun to read. But I need to finish it, which will probably take another couple of months. I’m enjoying the journey. Mrs. d’blank and I attended the Metropolitan Opera the other night and enjoyed Il Barbiere di Siviglia (above). Who knew it was a comedy? There’s a lot of New York City I never had time to explore, so boredom is not on the horizon.

I only have one rule at the moment: do an absolute minimum of things I don’t want to do, and fill my days with things that matter to me, while I’m deciding what book to read next.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you say you are reading or writing that non-fiction?

Apropos to retirement. I just finished a book, which is an optimistic approach to aging, Younger Next Year, by Chris Crowley and Henry Young. Aside from the main pro exercise theme, it touches on the mammalian limbic system (higher brain function) and its needs. Contact, both physical and social are important elements of health. Reptiles don't need them. Then again, they eat their young.

Regarding retirement. Those who have formed meaningful social networks other than work prior to retirement are ahead of the game. Can you use Dennis and gregarious in the same sentence? I can.

Kaz said...

I always thought that of our college friends, the Doctor would write the great american novel. Maybe it's really you Dennis!

I believe that one thing you have to do to lick work is make sure you don't let it solely define who you are. I've finally, at the end of the rodeo, figured out how to do that.

fenway said...

O Joy O Rapture. Being in my third, I can assure you you have many retirement lives in you. Hankster's point about meaningful social networks other than work is tremendously important and I do see a great novel (calling Pat Conroy) ahead. Enjoy this unknown journey. I'll be watching.

d'blank said...

Well you guys are kind, but I often struggle to string 400 words together, while the Doctor has written his novel -- he just needs a publisher with some vision.

Anonymous said...

wow...the mrs. made the post

Gaga said...

Do not start chillin' wit da boys at McD's