Friday, January 14, 2011

NFL playoff picks

Time again for the annual Daily Blank NFL playoff picks. I strongly urge you to liquidate all your assets, fly to Vegas, and put it all on my picks this year. Don’t let the following facts deter you in the slightest.

  1. I have watched exactly two NFL games from start to finish this year. The first was the Browns-Jets game which I had to watch with no sound in some dumpy sports bar in Florida.
  2. The second was the Browns-Dolphins game live in Miami. You will note that neither the Browns nor the Dolphins will be competing in the playoffs this year.
  3. During several years of participation in my office fantasy football league I was routinely beaten by at least half of the women and both gay guys.

So, that said, I predict the following with complete confidence:

  • Ravens @ Steelers. I won’t be watching this one. For me it’s like watching the Taliban v. the Nazis knowing not only that one team will win but that it is also unlikely that a Tsunami will hit the stadium during the game wiping out both teams and their revolting fans. Ray Lewis is the devil. Stillers by 3.
  • Packers @ Falcons. Don’t hate either team. Used to be mildly anti-Packers due to their having too much success, but I’m over that now and like their small town roots and old school unis. Packers by 3.
  • Seahawks @ Bears. I saw much of their improbable win over NO, but can’t believe the ‘Hawks are for real. We’re looking at a high of 22° in Shacaga Sunday. I say the dome-boys fold. Bears by 10.
  • Jets @ Pats. Hate Bellychuck. Hate Braylon. Brady played for Michigan. Santonio and Mangold were both Buckeyes. My upset special: Jets by 1.

11 comments:

Buzzard said...

Well D, I have already been to Vegas so I will need to pass on your "lead pipe locks"

Pats over Jets- Can't say I disagree with your hatred of the Pats and love of the Bucks, but there is one exception. How can you possibly take the loudmouth bully Ryan over the kind, gentle, articulate Bill? The man with 5 Super Bowl rings.

Bears over Seattle- I'm with ya here. Can go against da' bears in Chi-town.

Pack over Birds- Not only the old school favorites but the fans get the nod. No one shows up in Atl Dome for pro sports. Besides that is the home of the SEC championship game and I know how you feel about the SEC.

Ravens over Stillers- I am a Browns fan. Therfore I hate the men of rust more than any other entry in the tourney, even the Ravens. Yeah, I know Modell bolted Cleveland. But he may have been treated unfairly and was forced to leave. good riddance. And just because Ray Lewis copped a guilty plea bargain in a murder case doesnt make him a bad guy.

Ravens over the Pack in SB XLV.
full disclosure- Last time in Vegas I took the Ravens to win it all. So disregard everything I said, it's all about the money.

jdb said...

Like any disciplined gambler I glad to see you left your emotions in check.

Birdman said...

My hatred of the Jets knows no bounds. Will take the Pats all day. No Baltimore team has ever beaten a Pittsburgh team in the playoffs -- I'll have to take the "Stillers". Although Chicago has had more negative offensive plays (sacks, runs and passes for minus yds, etc.) they should beat the Seahawks handily. I'll take the Falcons at home. Everybody seems to hate them. Given that the putrid Redskins beat the Packers, I have to go with Falcons. Pats/Falcons in SB.

Woody said...

Patriots, Bears, Falcons, Steelers. Usually the teams with the bye win 75% of the time. So 3 out these 4 should be correct. Bet on it!

kgwhit said...

Must take Stillers so the folks in our Pittsburgh office actually show up to work next week hungover but happy. Dome teams with 7-9 records don't usually do well outdoors in January...or even play in January... so even if Cutler is da bears qb, gotta go with bears.
Falcons are great at home and Packers found a way to lose to Skins, so Falcons win.
Still not convinced Pats are that good but J-E-T-S moving on would make me quit watching the playoffs...go Pats.

warrenout said...

I want to see blood in Pittsburgh. Hate both teams looking for a brawling junkyard match.I think the Steelers win 19-14. but to wounded to win again. Pats cream the Jets. Ryan should have learned from his dad . shut the pie hole and control your players.Braylon Edwards will choke,Santonio Holmes will not Pats 37 jets 17. Bears should win providing the the real Cutler shows up. I think it will be close 27-24. Although seattle must like the verbal motivation of Carrol Atlanta, Green Bay another close one. I say Green Bay by 4 21-17.

d'blank said...

@ Buzzard - I can't believe you've fallen for Modell's PR campaign to rehabilitate his image. Or maybe you actually believe the sweet little Brooklyn boy who beat the networks out of hundreds of millions was taken advantage of by some Cleveland pol.

The Nik said...

I'll take the Ravens over the Steelers simply because of the fact that the three times I delivered pizza to Terrel Suggs he tipped me over $100 each time.

Woody said...

Does anyone know Terrel Sugg's address? I want to ask him if he needs some help with the yard work. Who knows what he might tip for that.

d'blank said...

Better wait a few weeks. He may not be in a good mood right now.

The Nik said...

This was back in 2004 and 2005, in Gilbert, Arizona. He lived in a relatively modest house, right next door to his momma, in a nice neighborhood called The Islands. All in all it was pretty inconspicuous aside from the 5 H2's parked in the driveway and on the street. Apparently Mr. Suggs was not only generous to me as he bought his brother, his cousin, best friend and his token white friend from high school all matching Hummers and let them live in the house rent free. To tell the truth I was kind of expecting one the last time I delivered to him...

Saw this on Facebook and thought I would share:

Practice at the Jets Stadium was delayed 2 hours yesterday after a player found a white powdery substance on the ground. Police and Homeland Security investigated. Experts determined that the white substance, unfamiliar to most of the players, was in fact the goal line. Practice will resume since the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.