Saturday, January 22, 2011

Playoff picks and potpourri

Wow. Is it Saturday night already? I lose track sometimes. Well, it’s time to get tomorrow’s picks on the record. I’m feeling a lot of pressure sitting here 4-0 after last week.

I just love the idea of the Packers and Bears facing off to get into the Super Bowl on a torn up field in sub-freezing temperatures on a Sunday afternoon in late January; especially since I’ll be watching it from my couch in Florida. I’m going with the Bears at home in a very close and low-scoring game.

There is no way the Jets can beat the Stillers twice in Pittsburgh in the same year. There’s no way Troy Palamaulou allows that to happen. And yet, I’m going with the J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS all the way this year. However I do hope Braylon knocks himself out on a failed, post-game back flip.

* * *

I’m very curious to know the story behind Keith Olbermann’s sudden and mysterious departure from MSNBC. I’ve never liked him even a little, but I hope there isn’t some unseemly scandal behind it. He was the only talking head the liberals had on TV with any real following.

* * *

Ben Stiller has more Twitter followers than Sarah Palin.

* * *

It was kind of a lost week for me so you may well have read both David Brooks and Paul Krugman in the Times last Friday the 21st. Each addressed the apparently uncrossable divide separating the political left and right in the country today. Krugman’s “A Tale of Two Moralities” explained the gap from a structural standpoint while Brooks’ “Tree of Failure” looked at from the perspective of the current social atmosphere. Both are interesting in their own right but together they are fascinating.

5 comments:

d'blank said...

Well that was a pathetic day of football. a tip of the hat to Fenway and anyone else who had Packers-Steelers. Somebody had to pick the favorites.

Birdman said...

Thanks for the congrats. I had the Packers/Steelers. Cutler is just getting crushed by talking heads and NFL players for sitting out 2nd half. Given how he played in the 1st half it wasn't a bad move.

Olberman's patron was Jeff Zucker. When he left recently as a result of the Comcast deal, Olberman was left to the mercies of people who hated him. As the guys at ESPN said when he left there, "he didn't just burn bridges, he napalmed them". I like Lawrence O'Donnell. He'll make a good replacement. Not as bombastic but smarter and better informed.

d'blank said...

There's a pretty good article in today's NYT Biz section on KO. Sounds like in person he is pretty much like he is on TV -- a huge jerk.

Many of Cutler's teammates including Urlacher have stepped up a defended him strongly. I hate listening to guys who've never been hit by anything harder than a stiff wind calling out NFL guys for being soft. Half those hits would kill many folks.

kgwhit said...

My daughter, who is a producer in News Division at NBC, told me that it is all about Comcast with KO, or so the rumor mill has it.
Whether true or not who knows, but the thought is that Comcast does not want any controversy or even a hint of liberal bias because it will hurt them in the local conservative communities where they have franchises.
She also said that KO is a jerk. She knows a couple of people who work on his show and he is as big an ass as there is to the people on the show.

fenway said...

I'm crazy about LO'D. He's smart, thoughtful and articulate. Since he's worked "within" he knows what he's talking about so even that idiot Scarborough (remember the dead intern) is forced to stop and listen to him.

I'm with the Pack in the SB - in case any of you guys want to ride my coattails . . . .

PS not that I like that Cutler guy but why does everybody: media, fan (no matter your city), fellow players hate him? Soft?