Friday, February 12, 2010

It's official

Well, I’m now an old white man driving a Cadillac with Florida plates. How the hell did it come to this? Not only that, but I’m reading the New Yorker in the DeLand public library. This must also be a sign of something unintended.

I was going to write this yesterday, so I took my netbook with me to the Blind Pig around 3:30, but they had 2-for-1 pints of Yuenglings for three bucks, plus I had a Montecristo on me. Unfortunately smoking, drinking and typing are just one too many simultaneous activities for me. I don’t know how Faulkner, Hemingway the other big boys did it. In my case the writing had to wait until today. Doc warned me that living in Florida is a little like slitting your wrists in a warm bath. It kind of feels comfortable and relaxing at first.

I do get out however. I just visited a place near here where more than 200 Manatees spend the winter in a warm spring that flows into a local river. The spring stays a constant 72 degrees during the winter, so they hang out under the Spanish moss covered, spreading limbs of live oaks in a wide part of the spring. The setting looks like a Monet painting – all deep greens and blues. I’d never seen a Manatee before. They are gentle, massive things; 8-10 feet long and I’d guess a half ton, huddled together by the dozens in a kind of aquatic group hug. Meanwhile, a solitary alligator floated with just his eyes and snout above the water, maybe 50 feet downriver, watching. I couldn’t help but think of Captain Hook.

It’s definitely harder to focus on politics down here. I’m not sure if that is good or bad. I think it’s just a function of not knowing anyone well enough to get engaged in those kinds of conversations. I have, however, been following the news in the European Union with interest, as Greece, Portugal, Ireland, and maybe a couple of other smaller EU countries are in danger of economic collapse. It now looks like Germany is going to have to step in with their version of a TARP plan to keep the union from broader damage. It was Germany that drove the process towards a unified European currency, and opponents of the idea warned of exactly this kind of problem down the line.

This has led me to add to the previously published list of rules in the June 29, 2009 post: “How to survive in business.” Actually, there are two. The first is already out there, “Great is the enemy of good” and is self-explanatory.

This one is mine: “Big is the enemy of good.” Many good ideas are killed in business before they are ever tried because some strategic-thinker decides the idea was not big enough. As if Jim Brown was born 6’2” and 235 lbs. And then there are Wall Street, New Coke, DaimlerChrysler, and an endless list of other examples of commercial disasters following an unrelenting, unrealistic, drive to get bigger. German politicians probably thought they just weren’t big enough to compete economically in the 21st Century with the U.S. and China, so they wanted an EU. It might have worked if they’d hitched themselves to 4-5 other German economies; instead they got Greece and Portugal which are now dragging them down. Small is beautiful.

RIP Charlie Wilson. A true American archetype.

10 comments:

Kaz said...

Some years ago a friend of mine's uncle retired and moved to Florida. After living there for a few years he moved back to Ohio. His explanation was that Florida was "heaven's waiting room" and he thought if he could get out of there, he would make it for another ten years.

Unknown said...

If you want to look at a vision of scale and reduced drag, look at Nazi Germany. They swallowed up everything in their path and exploited that which they did not eliminate.

Small is the world at eye level. As big as anything gets, the ultimate unit is the person and human needs.

Charlie Wilson was a character. But I disagree with his take on the failure of Afghanistan being due to dropped US support in light of him empowering Islamic fundamentalists. He played the game of hegemony. It is a fool's errand.

* A shout out to Hiramites. Does anyone remember Denny Chapman? He just looked me up on Facebook. Still married to his wife of so many years and doing well. He had a wonderful personality, still does so it appears.

BB said...

While I do feel as if I'm crashing a Buckeye party, I do enjoy DB's blog and the comments of his followers from Warren and Hiram. Nothing too big is good for you: 64 ounce cokes, enormous bootys, Denny's Grand Slam breakfasts, etc. While you were describing those manatees huddling together I'm just hoping you're staying away from the calories and taking a walk once in while. Nice post today and I dig your ride, at least what was in the picture.

kgwhit said...

Charlie was one of a kind and I just fell out over the quote below. He was getting ready to run for re-elction and needed to spur on his staff:

I know we had a lot of issues in past campaigns that were difficult to deal with, but I want to reassure you this time its going to be easier. Because I've settle down, met a good Christian woman; she sings in the church choir, doesnt drink a lick, I love her, and we're planning on getting married - just as soon as she graduates from high school.

RIP Charlie

Unknown said...

When those manatees start to look like mermaids, consider moving back to New York.

Birdman said...

Now that you've got the Caddy registered in Fl., make sure that the left hand turn signal is now permanently on. Also, make sure that the seat is positioned so that all anybody can see of you is that sweet hat you bought down in Clarksdale.

Bozz said...

Getting the land yacht prior to the move was a brilliant strategy to assimilate into the Florida retirement lifestyle. If you want to initiate political discussion bring up the fact that in 2010 it is projected that the outgo for Social Security will exceed the income which will be 6 years sooner than forecasted.
If the manatees start to look like mermaids I would first cut back on the Yuenglings before moving back to New York.

Gaga said...

Isnt that Caddy a recall free American car? Happy trails Pops!

d'blank said...

shocking new development here. turns out Goldman Sachs was doing more of God's work in Greece by creating exotic financial instruments to help them disguise their true financial condition.

Gaga said...

Release to the public the home addresses of all Goldman Sachs employees & we'll go from there. Nothing like face time to straighten things out. Gated community,no problem.