Monday, February 22, 2010

Life 3.0 (#2)


Notes to readers: This is the second post on the development of “The Plan” – my attempt to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. However, since Glenn Beck is coming out with a new book called “The Plan” this summer, and since I’d prefer to be confused with Pee Wee Herman or Slobodan Milosevic over Glenn Beck, I am forced to switch to a new title for this series; the new name will be “Life 3.0.”

On a more exciting note, I will have a partner in this adventure. We’ll call her Coach Lou. Lou is a partner in an executive coaching and leadership training consultancy based in Boulder, Colorado. More importantly (to me anyway) is the fact that Coach Lou has been a very dear friend of mine since we were in seventh grade. She is a person of uncommon common sense and she’ll be totally unafraid to be honest if she thinks I’m not thinking straight. So, everyone, please welcome Coach Lou, who will begin her critique of my plan with today’s post.

I’m going with the Life 3.0 title because this is the third major phase of my life. First was childhood, including an extended childhood that lasted until I was approximately 29. That was Life 1.0. Then came the serious business of having a career, marriage and raising a family – Life 2.0. Now I’m ready for version 3.0.

The plan (formerly known as “The Plan”), will focus on how I will spend my non-family, non-recreational time. I don’t feel the need of a new family/recreational plan. The old one will work fine. More importantly, I couldn’t write, and no one would want to read, anything that personal.

“Plan” is such a small word, but it implies a lot of things. A plan has to have a goal, a strategy for achieving the goal, and a timeline. Like most previous goals I’ve had in my life, I shall pick something that is relatively easy to accomplish, and which is sufficiently subjective that I can declare victory across a broad front. I was always jealous of my kids who got trophies for everything they ever did. I would have liked that when I was a kid. I played everything growing up and I don’t have a single trophy to show for it. So I’m not sticking myself now with some impossible dream with no trophy attached to it. I also value flexibility and fluidity, so I won’t be making too many hard and immutable rules either.

All I’m looking for is some way to occupy my time that I enjoy, which will take up 20-40 hours per week, and which has some redeeming value to someone else. This last point may be immutable; otherwise, I would simply invest in a world-class beach chair and park myself on the sand someplace and read books and magazines all day long. I really enjoy that, but it is unlikely to lead to a cure for cancer or a path to world peace in my lifetime, and I would like to do something meaningful.

It also doesn’t have to be just one thing. Perhaps I’ll find 2-3 things that together can fill the time and achieve the goal.

So I guess I should start by trying to identify the things I enjoy doing, since enjoying myself, truth-be-told, is the one truly immutable rule at play here. Here is a list of things I’ve identified, listed in alphabetical order: blues, cigars, conversation, family, drinking, golf, persuasion, politics, reading, road trips (especially the road less taken), watching sports, and writing.

If anyone sees a pattern here, other than that many of these things can be done in combination, and they do not represent a particularly healthy lifestyle, please tell me what it is. So far I can’t see how any of this points to an obvious v. 3.0 architecture.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll bite.

First, get your eyes checked. [see Woody's post on the last thread]

With an MBA and a strong suit in marketing, find a handful of blues artists you believe in and take them to the next step.

Coach Lou said...

Thank you for the kind introduction. First let me say that I am honored to be your partner in this journey. Not sure where it is taking us but I've never been one to turn my back on an adventure. The other reason I am excited is that I am on the heels of your retirement and have already been pondering these same questions (although the things that make me happy are somewhat, okay vastly, different)and I am hoping to shed some light on my own plan.

So here goes with my first observations. Regarding the things that make you happy, it seems to me that you have not given those up and in fact, since retirement, have probably had more time to indulge in them. That is what retirement is for - is it not?

So that leads to making this third of your life meaningful. I will advise you right off to forget curing cancer and creating world peace. There are already enough very talented people spending their lives in those endeavors and I think it might take more than the 25 or 30 years you have left (not to be depressing). So it will have to be something where you see the impact pretty readily.

Now you could talk Hangsters advice and launch a blues band. However, that sounds a lot like work to me and most likely it will take you away from family (although you could probably weave in all of the other things you enjoy). So how can you have fun, keep family intact and do good at the same time?

I don't want to sound too sacchrine (I am a woman and a coach so what do you expect) but I think you should look at this a different way. Think back on what you have done or witnessed that has really moved you. Something that made you open your wallet and write a check. Maybe something that broght a lump to your throat, a tear to your eye. Notice on a daily basis what you wish you could do something about. Make some notes. Then we will try to figure out how this fits in with making a difference doing what you love to do. Maybe we can figure out a small goal that you can reach which will lead to the bigger goal and plan.

Finally, since it is late and I am losing clarity, give yourself a break. It wasn't that long ago that you hit the streets - retired! Didn't they give you a trophy for that? A gold watch or an IPod at least? Enjoy all those things you love, sit on the beach, read some magazines and don't forget to breathe. Take it all in because this moment is already gone.

Kaz said...

Seems to me that while it may be a far shot from curing cancer or creating world peace, there are other small contributions to the betterment of others that can be made. I've got a friend that retired a few years ago and he volunteers once a week for the Red Cross by driving people that don't have transportation to dialysis. Not much glamour, nevertheless, any satisfaction found in service to others? It could save your soul, if you have a soul.

jb said...

It's Golf! You can smoke your cigars, have great conversations about politics, you can read the rules of golf to persuade others they are wrong about where to drop a ball, take road trips to discover new courses, do it with family ("MOM! You hit that ball like a lesbian!"), when you are done you can drink and watch sports and in the morning before you tee off, if you are not hungover, write something interesting.

Case closed.

BB said...

Not golf for goodness sake! The people you meet on the golf course are specifically not into the blues and the political conversations you have with them are not likely to turn out well. Plus the apres golf cigars and drinking really aren't specifically too good for you. I'm thinking you should discover something that brings you into contact with people whose company you will enjoy and from whom you can learn something.
Gotta get out there and interact. What about a community college gig teaching business, or marketing, or creative writing? Did you read Roger Cohen in the Times today? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/opinion/23iht-edcohen.html?ref=opinion

kgwhit said...

The thought of volunteering at the Red Cross is great but also at a Veteran's Hospital.
Many of the people there have done a lot for this country, for very little money, and they have some great stories.
Also, with your marketing background perhaps volunteer at a small local non profit that is getting by on a shoestring. Helping them help others in the community makes the day seem worthwhile.

Gaga said...

Your the Captain of the Love Boat.

Gaga said...

BTW My parents talked about sinning, not going blind. They lied. I went deaf. As fair as the weed, I was told I'd loss my mind. I made up for that by taking on an extra 100 lbs. of body.

d'blank said...

Thank you all very much. There are some great comments and observations here. Rather than do my usual “shot from the lip” act I think I will wait and respond to specific ideas in the next Life 3.0 post.

Pam H. said...

It sure looks like you have a well rounded life and haven't overlooked anything. Kudos to you! Maybe instead of doing things as an outlet from responsibility, you could leave your comfort zone and look at your leisure activities differently. Like, "Drive-ins, Dinners & Dives". You could have your own reality show about "out of the way Blues!" At any rate, sounds good to me!

warrenout said...

Out of the way blues?. I have two choices for your consideration. One is special guest bartender in a blues bar. The specias of the evening would be your own. Some sort of panther prowler concoction would get the ball rolling. Make sure the pace is not too fast and make sure its not in Ohio so you can light up. Offer to give your tips to your favorite charity. #2 Teach a journalism class at a community college. Every college freshman could learn from your gift. Oh #3 enjoy your HEALTH your wife and your children.Oh,since I'm really not a boomer,I don't quite get why are you trying to rationalize retirement. Be careful, you don't want your retirement to culminate in a woodstock momment.