Monday, February 8, 2010

Liftoff!

I could have downloaded a much better photo with no problem, but I took this one with my own little Blackberry. That's the space shuttle Endeavour a second or so after liftoff. I took it very early this morning while standing on the banks of the inter coastal waterway in Titusville, Florida, maybe five miles across the water from Cape Canaveral.

We'd driven down there Sunday night and slept in the car for a couple of hours waiting for the scheduled 4:39 a.m. launch, which was called off at the last minute. There were thousands of disappointed kids whose parents had brought them out, it being a weekend.

So we hit the road again about 2:00 this morning and got there in plenty of time to find a prime spot -- it now being a school night. However there were still thousands of people lining the Titusville waterfront waiting to see the last scheduled shuttle night launch. There are only five more shuttle flights left before NASA discontinues the program.

Someone near us had a radio so we could follow the pre-launch news. Everything went off as planned on a crisp, mostly clear night. There was a quarter-crescent moon low in the southern sky. We were close enough to see the floodlit launch gantry across the water, which is where we focused our attention.

At 4:14 the eastern horizon lit up like the sun. I could have read a book by the light where I stood. Slowly the machine lifted from its scaffolding and the light and smoke expanded. It was both awesome and just a little disappointing, because the only sound came from the exclamations and applause of the people around us. In the time it took to realize and process that thought, a tsunami of sound and vibration rolled over us from the launch site. It started low and quickly built to a roar. I could feel the vibrations in my sternum, my sinuses, my malleus, incus, and staples.

As the intensity and volume built quickly over a few seconds I began to think that soon the intensity would build to a point it would take me to my knees; but just as I thought it, the sound began its retreat, and we were soon again on the banks of a peaceful, glassy body of water on a beautiful night.

As the shuttle made its trademark slow roll towards the heavens, and the external tanks burned, it was hard not to think of the horror spectators must have experienced when Challenger exploded. But this day all systems worked and the crew is safely on their way to the international space station carrying a "cupola" -- essentially the first window the station has had.

And then it was over. Within a couple of minutes Endeavour was like a bright star in the eastern sky, and we all shuffled back to our cars and home to bed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully vivid sharing of your moment! I felt as if I were there! Thank you

Unknown said...

Were you able to sell NASA some of your carbon credits?

jb said...

I must admit, seeing a launch from that close really puts a lump in your throat and a tear to the eye. I only missed a few when I lived there as it is quite a sight. In the daylight you can actually see the sound coming across the water.

Woody said...

Excellent description of the shuttle launch. I am even more impressed that you know the names of the bones in the middle ear although stapes was spelled wrong. It probably was a keyboard glitch. Keep up the good work. We are vicariously enjoying your retirement.

Gaga said...

Other Launch Views


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZ2hBqUAsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAKOLOnfV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6eQEOXYKI

Birdman said...

Great discription D! Must be quite an experience. I'm sure that you had the bones in the inner at your fingertips. Loved reading this.

Kaz said...

I'm glad Woody told me they were bones in the middle ear!

d'blank said...

JB has much better photos.

Woodrow -- i looked up those bones just to impress you. can't believe i blew it in the transcription.

d'blank said...

I put up a couple of JB's pix from a previous shuttle launch. the liftoff was shot from about the same place i saw it, but with a much better camera and in the day time. The gantry shot was taken from out on Canaveral peninsula.

d'blank said...

JB's photos are in the right hand column. scroll down a bit to see.