Thursday, June 12, 2008

Never mind

Just when I thought Senator Obama was showing some evidence that he might be an exceptional executive he makes the bonehead move of selecting, and quickly having to fire, James Johnson as his VP screener.

Johnson was an oddball choice to begin with and then it turns out he accepted sweetheart loan deals from a company he was doing business with while running Fannie Mae. Maybe all it shows is how hard it is to find an honest person in Washington, but he had Caroline Kennedy on the committee, too. How bad a job could she have done?

Gail Collins does a better job than me of pointing out what a ridiculous mistake this was in her New Time Times column today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least he got rid of him quickly rather than go through the usual song and dance giving full throated support while at the same time finding a way to show him the door. There's nothing wrong with "I screwed up, I'll fix it". I've done it a number of times. It's not fun but it's over quickly.

McCain's criticism is preposterous. This guy is looking more and more like a fatally flawed candidate. His positions on just about everything from troop withdrawal to constitutional law are, at best, misguided. This is going to be a very bumpy ride to November. I'd buckle up.

Anonymous said...

If one in a thousand people remember this in one month I will fall of my chair. That said, I wonder what compelled BO to select a person who carries such an abysmal track record?

d'blank said...

Birdman -- you are an ignorant slut (and i say that with deep respect).

Hankster -- the answer to your question is one of the following two:
1. bad judgement
2. ties to the political money machine that are no different than every other establishment politician's.

Anonymous said...

Well said D. I agree with Hankster. This is inside baseball of the first order. The vast majority of people that have heard the name Jim Johnson think he's the ex Cowboys coach.