Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Obamapromises

I thought Obama’s acceptance speech was very good, and holding it outdoors (a la FDR in ’32) was brilliant. There’s nothing like 75,000 crazed supporters to whip up some enthusiasm for your ideas.

It’s the ideas themselves that concern me. Not that I think they are bad ideas – I don’t – but it’s hard to see how he plans to pay for all this stuff. In my view the mounting national debt is both our biggest security and our biggest economic concern, and it looks like a President Obama plans to spend first and worry about that later.

Here, in his own words the other night, are the things he plans to do that will have an obvious direct, or indirect, cost to the US economy:

“I will start giving them (tax breaks) to companies that create good jobs right here in America. "

"I'll eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow. "

"I will cut taxes -- cut taxes -- for 95 percent of all working families."

"I will …invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. "

"I'll help our auto companies re-tool… "

"I'll make it easier for the American people to afford these new cars. "

"And I'll invest $150 billion over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy -- wind power, and solar power, and the next generation of biofuels… "

"I'll invest in early childhood education. "

"I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries, and give them more support."

"Now -- now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable, accessible health care for every single American. "

"If you have health care -- if you have health care, my plan will lower your premiums. If you don't, you'll be able to get the same kind of coverage that members of Congress give themselves."

"Now is the time to help families with paid sick days and better family leave, because nobody in America should have to choose between keeping their job and caring for a sick child or an ailing parent. "

"Now is the time to change our bankruptcy laws, … and the time to protect Social Security for future generations. "

"And now is the time to keep the promise of equal pay for an equal day's work, because I want my daughters to have the exact same opportunities as your sons.”

Also in his own words, here is how he plans to pay for all those items:

“…I'll pay for every dime: by closing corporate loopholes and tax havens that don't help America grow. "

"I will stop giving tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas… "

"But I will also go through the federal budget line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less, because we cannot meet 21st-century challenges with a 20th-century bureaucracy.”

There is no way to make those two columns come even close to balancing. You can read the full speech here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

so I'm out for a run this am, pass a newsstand and see one paper's headline 'Bush Says McCain "Ready"' and I'm thinking "how the HELL would HE know"!?

Anonymous said...

I am not greatly concerned because they all talk about things that they would like to do that have no chance of ever passing.

If I were leaning towards Obama, picking Sarah Palin would have put me in Obama's camp. This was absolutely the "gut feeling" politics that has us in such a mess today.

It is like W looking into Putin's eyes and seeing his soul. McCain meets her once and is taken with her. Okay, she should be the veep.

Anonymous said...

That speech made me dive into my idealitic side and I came away thinking if he accomplishes half of that we'll be heading in the right direction. I admit a bit of naivete on how the bureaucracy works but if he really does go line by line and eliminate hugely overfunded and non-meaningful programs he should be able to find the money for some of this. For example, I read recently that the Department of Defense failed to use $100 Million of commercial plane tickets that were pre-paid and never asked for a refund. That $100 Million buys a lot of computers for school kids. There has to be thousands of more examples like this one.

More importantly, I believe this marks a trend toward a regression of power for corporate America. It's well known that 80% of our economy is small business and it's about god damned time we started making it hurt hard for corporations when they get greedy.

Has anyone seen the NFL display in Columbus Circle. I'm guessing that's about $10 Million to build so Terry Bradshaw can pontificate while the average viewer really could care less if he's sitting in NY or in an empty warehouse in Nebraska. The NFL is not spending that money if their tax rate is higher, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

I'm not all that concerned about the goals set out in his speech. Governing is about compromise and I think that Obama would move us back to at least "thoughtful" consideration of problems and solutions.

We can't take another four years of "gut" feelings determining policy. Especially now that we know how McCain's "gut" thinks.

d'blank said...

Yeah, you guys take Obama's comments as "just politics" but anything from McCain/Palin is a deeply held belief with which they're going to stick the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

some of us seem to be communists, some of us fascists!

Anonymous said...

Taxing the rich more can generate alot of money!

Anonymous said...

HMMM,I guess you folks all work for someone who is broke. or will be if Obama would have his way.People need to invest in themselves and quit relying on the goverment as a way of life.The goal of corporations is to make money, the goal of politicians is to spend our money and stay in office.Obama/Marx/Engels.All the same pablum of poor me, workers of the world unite. There is only two classes of people in America those that work and those that make up excuses as to why they can't. I will be compassionate to the widows/orphans and those with real disabilities and include them in with the workers.

Anonymous said...

When it comes right down to it D I just want competent government. It is actually supposed to perform functions. The republicans in the last 8 years have shown rank incompetence at just about everything they do from disaster relief, to foreign policy, to upholding the constitution. I see no reason to give them another shot at it. Would you renew a contract with a company that has shown no ability or desire to fulfill any of the terms of the contract?

Anonymous said...

WOW! and you guys are supposed to be smart? I am shocked by these comments. They are comments I would expect from my poker buddies...uninformed and based upon nothing.

Anonymous said...

No, JB, just narrowminded thinking, like Rush Limbaugh. In this case, it is the hatred of Bush and his ilk. Everything and all associated with the GOP is evil.

"Drill baby drill!"

Anonymous said...

John McCain has gone to the well and drawn water from Karl Rove's bucket. Time to energize reactionary forces. The conservatives are swimming to the life raft Sarah Palin. Their world is done. They believe in unlimited resources and that god will provide. They believe in the covenant. It might play in American another time but the rest of the world has moved on. This country is deluding itself if it likes the words of a sportscaster in the body of a cheerleader mouthing what they want to hear ascend to VP. This is not my vision. I am not buying the same soap which hasn't washed for 8 years in a different package.

Anonymous said...

you liberals are so understanding when it comes to empty promises from your camp that makes you feel good and has one toe toward the right direction, as if thinking about keep all the promises he made is good enough.

- "I'm not all that concerned about the goals set out in his speech." - BIRDMAN: PLEASE at least admit that you wouldn't say this if Mccain was voted in.

What else can be more gut politic than making opportunistic promises to get one elected.

Although I dont expect you to hold them to the most ridiculous obsurd stand yall hold the conservatives in gov. but i do expect you to hold them to a higher standard and expect more than just excusing it as "politic"