Saturday, January 9, 2010

Football & movies

Here are my playoff picks, which I’m posting just as the Jets and Bengals kickoff. Let’s start with that one: the Jets will gain 735 yards rushing and win by 10. Chad Ochocinco will score the only Bengals TD, after which he will strip nude and pantomime having rough sex with Commissioner Goodell.

Eagles defeat the Cowboys by 3 because everyone knows you can’t beat the same team three times in one season. Post game, Jerry Jones burns down his new stadium and Donovan McNabb leaves his wife for Jessica Simpson, making the ‘Pokes 0 for 3 on the day.

Tomorrow: the Pats over Baltimore by 17. Ray Lewis has no tackles and no sacks after pulling a hammy during his pre-game psych-up, coo-coo dance. The guy he murdered is still dead however, so it is only fair.

Arizona v. Green Bay? Who cares? I’m tempted to go with Green Bay because Brett Favre doesn’t play there anymore, but I’ll go with Arizona by 7 because they’ve got Beanie Wells, and Kurt Warner used to have that awesome mullet.

The Browns will be the prohibitive favorites to win the Super Bowl after the 2012 season, but apparently the world ends on December 21, 2012, before the playoffs begin. Just my luck.

Movies: I haven’t seen it yet, but everyone (AY, Buzzard, Hankster) loves “Crazy Heart” for great acting and great music. I can’t wait to see that one. AY sees every movie. She recommends “Avatar,” as do I, but you have to see the 3-D version as it is “total eye candy” with a very simple story (read David Brooks’ sorta-review last week). AY, my wife, 2,543,768 other women and I liked “It’s Complicated.” It is kind of a chick-flick, but Baldwin, Streep and Steve Martin are all great, Santa Barbra is beautiful, and it has a good script. AY, Buzzard and I all give “Sherlock Holmes” a limp thumbs up. It was more action flick than I was expecting, but Guy Ritchie’s vision of 19th century London looks so cool it’s worth seeing for that alone; plus Robert Downey, and Jude Law as Watson, are great together. I’d have liked it 50% more if they’d left 30 minutes on the cutting room floor. Buzzard liked another movie, the name of which I forgot, and AY says “Nine” is “just plain awful.”

I’m off for a road trip to Florida on Tuesday. I’ll be taking my time, hoping to see a little of America off the Interste. TTY later.

18 comments:

Kaz said...

"Nine" may be awful, but Penelope Cruz does do the most erotic dance any woman has ever done without taking her clothes off.

fenway said...

You were just about spot on about the Jets.Dallas seems to be killing Philly. You're dreaming about the Pats. They will squeak by the Ravens at which point they will have more than fulfilled their promise of this year. If Minnie is in the playoffs hope somebody knocks Farve's socks off. I hate Joe Lieberman. A Single Man: Heartbreaking. Up in the Air: Devastating. Complicated: laughed my balls off. Nine: Crap. Crazy Heart: Ecstasy. Invictus:if only the world could be like that.

Happy New Year to all. d'B: let me know if you'll be in Charleston. Or are you headed straight down 95?

d'blank said...

Fenway -- I could be talked into Charleston. Did I say Philly? I meant Dallas by 65.

Kaz -- I'm going to see Nine tomorrow. What do a couple chicks know about great cinema anyway?

Unknown said...

Football? Make up your mind: one or the other.

Nine is not bad. There is so much depth in 8 and a Half you can spin stuff off of it for years, and they have. Would you have believed that All That Jazz is a knockoff? Daniel Day Lewis gets kudos but why not see the original work of genius, 8 and a Half?

Buzzard said...

"the Missing Person" The only improvemment would be to be filmed in grainy black and white. A film noir classic revolving around a gin soaked, chain smoking, private dick searching for a man who went AWOL following 9/11. Trains are involved.
The other, "a Serious Man". A Coen brothers movie set in midwest in 1967 about a Jewish professor whose life is falling apart. Classic Coen brothers humor.
I thought that "Blindside" would have converted D'Blank to be a Ravens fan, but I am afraid that wont happen unless they move back to Cleveland.

fenway said...

8.5/9 may have been great cinema but there is no dancing (lots of hair flipping, high-stepping and twirling) and the music is crap.

d'blank said...

I can't believe I didn't mention either "Blindside" or "Up in the Air" - the two best movies I've seen lately. Blindside is a true story faithfully told with a great performance by Sandra Bullock. UITA captures the zeitgeist perfectly and Cloony is the coolest guy in the movies since Paul Newman.

Buzzard said...

D, there you go again, plugging guys with Ohio connections

Unknown said...

"I liked “It’s Complicated.” It is kind of a chick-flick..."

Kinda? Let's say its an empowerment infomercial for older women. Yes, the actors are having a good time. But so would you if you were getting paid to do it.

On a purely emotional level I have a visceral feeling of a rip-off, give em what they want to see, not the way it is, fantasy. There is no negative emotional baggage between Streep and Baldwin. You cannot find any reason why they broke up in the first place or loose ends from the break up. They are too well adjusted.

The word pandering comes to mind when I think about the manipulation behind the plot.

Birdman said...

Nice picture of Chuck Bednarik over Frank Gifford.

Liked Sherlock Holmes. Agree with Hank about "It's Complicated". Haven't seen "Up in the Air" and "Blindside" yet but plan to.

So far you seem to be 1-2 for playoff games. Patriots don't seemt to want to play any more this year.

fenway said...

Who can hate Baltimore? Plus it makes up for the 17-2 Sox lead over the O's in 09.
Yes, Blind Side is terrific. Lewis' book even better. Did he play for the Ravens today?

BB said...

Football: I hate the Cowboys but they could go all the way. I love Buddy Ryan: Jets, Jets, Jets! 51-45, are you kidding? Would somebody please tackle somebody!
Movies: Complicated, a chick flick that this man liked alot, Up in The Air, excellent. A Single Man, great art direction. A Serious Man, best first scene ever.
A final note: can the Washington Wizards change their name back to the Bullets?

jb said...

well 50/50 ain't bad as you did better than the guys on FOX as they all picked Green Bay. I was surprised you went with Arizona because of Beenie Wells as your boy, A.J Hawk plays for Green Bay and the son of a Cleveland Browns all of famer, Clay Matthews. Good pick although it was not much of a game. Nothing like the thriller this year between the Browns and Bills. Bills won 6-3.

Woody said...

Was that a football game between Arizona and GB? It reminded me of playing passer-receiver-interceptor but in our street games we actually tried to cover the receiver. It may be my Ohio roots but I would prefer to watch a titanic struggle between a balanced offense and a tough defense. I am not going to comment on the chick-flick reviews.

Birdman said...

Fenway - You'd be surprised who could hate the Ravens. As a proud son of Charm City, I can't stand the Ravens. They are the old Browns that beat my storied Colts in the 1964 championship game. This wouldn't be so bad except I moved from Baltimore to Cleveland in 1963 and have not recovered from the humiliation I suffered because of that loss.

fenway said...

d'B: if you and your followers have any friends in MA, please, please get them out to vote on the 19th. Assuming they're on the "correct" side, of course. I think there is a disaster in the making. The Big Dog is holding a rally for Coakley Friday in Copley Square. I plan to be there.

Woody said...

Before you vote for Coakley, read about her involvement in the Amirault prosecution(WSJ 1/14/10). Her judgement in that case raises questions about her candidacy for Senator.

Unknown said...

more Ysl replica bags find out here now replica designer backpacks Get More Information replica gucci handbags