Thursday, January 14, 2010

Random road notes and this week’s picks

A thousand miles from home in a dumpy hotel bar, but it’s been a fun trip. Crossed the GW Bridge on Tuesday. The Caddy had a full tank and new shoes. The day was sunny. On the seat next to me were a loaded i-Pod, a bottle of water, an E-Z Pass, a Captain Beefheart CD, two pair of sunglasses, and a box of Montecristo White Toro Grandes, courtesy of my old mates at Time (gracias amigos!). Ready for a road trip.

The Captain was a farewell gift from Hankster. He and Doc and I had an herbal cocktail in the Village a few days earlier. I’d planned to listen to it on the way out of town, but contemplating the NJ Turnpike to a Capt. Beefheart soundtrack was just too frightening, so I held off on the CD for a while.

First stop – Arlington, Virginia and dinner with Birdman and KGWhit (whom I’d not met before). We went to “Ray’s the Steaks” (get it?) – corny name but great food. We talked mostly politics and had a fine time, although I also had a triple double beverage evening (see-throughs, red wine and Remy) which made for a late start the next morning.

Hauled down I-95 until I hit North Carolina, then turned onto US 17. It was beautiful for quite a while but civilization eventually took over. Love the back roads but some parts of the country only deserve to be seen from an interstate highway.

Stopped in Wilmington, NC and met up with my Bro – the other db. Had dinner with him and the GM of the local Cadillac dealer. (Told him my Caddy joke, which he of course, loved.) Talked cars. (Did you know more cars were sold in China than the US last year?) Had an awesome meal at a local joint – Hieronymus Seafood. Fabulous oysters, the best scallops ever eaten and ridiculously cheap. That’s one of the great things about leaving NY – everything seems cheap.

Got up early and emailed Fenway for a restaurant suggestion in Charleston. She sent me to Harmony Grill. What a find. Sesame crusted catfish. Fried cheese grits. Unbelievable cornbread. Chocolate pudding, and an unpretentious little chardonnay. Fired up a Monty and walked around south of Broad and along the Battery on a sunny afternoon. What a fantastic city!

Popped in the Captain and put the pedal to the metal in order to make up some time through lower SC. It was the perfect combo. The Captain is trippin’. (Other road trip music: Murphy’s Saloon podcasts, Roseanne Cash, Ray Davies, The Insomniacs, and Watermelon Slim – all good to great!)

A couple more hours on 95 and it got real dark fast, and the big trucks own the road. Got off in Brunswick, GA and found a Comfort Inn that will never be mistaken for a Ritz Carlton (I do miss one or two things about working). Tomorrow: Florida.

The playoffs: Well, I was 2-2 last week, which is good enough to be Secretary of Homeland Security. I’m getting my picks for this weekend in early so all you second-guessers can stick your necks out this round.

Dallas over Minnesota by 7. The ‘Pokes are hot and the ‘Vikes are not.

Jets over San Diego by 3. I’m picking with my heart over my head on this one. The “same old Jets” will show up eventually, but not this weekend.

New Orleans will beat Arizona by one. The over/under on this one is 137. Jack Tatum is coming out of retirement to play d-back for NO.

The “Battle of Baltimore” is the one I really want to be right about. I’ll be happy to be 1-3 if Indy can take this one by 10, leaving Ray Lewis humiliated, prostrate, and crying like a little girl at the gun.

RIP Teddy Pendergast. Whatever you thought of isco, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes were awesome.

6 comments:

Birdman said...

Ken and I were proud to have our esteemed blogmaster in the People's Republic of Arlington. I thought Remy was a bold beverage choice to round out the evening. I expected nothing less from Dblank.

I like Dallas by 10 over Minn., San Diego by 14 over the Jets, AZ by 9 over the Saints (Dblank is right, the number will be very high), and, if there's a God in heaven, the Colts by 10 over the Ravens.

Unknown said...

I thought your were leaving town when I heard the sirens and saw the tar and feather truck flash by.

We are all jealous that you retired by choice, not by George Clooney. I saw Up in the Air last night. A worthwhile spent couple of hours. Don't you get the impression that he really loves his life?

Welcome to a state where the push is on to equate the words moderate and Republican with communist.

Mind the Nile monitor lizards and Burmese pythons.

Hoping you packed in carpet bags,
Hankster

kgwhit said...

It was a great Tuesday evening with lots of laughs. A case could be made that I had at least one more late night bourbon than I needed. Loud noises were a bit jarring at 8 am the next morning in the office.

I think home teams are going to do well. I like Vikes, Colts and Chargers with only Cards pulling off an upset on the road.

fenway said...

You missed the buttermilk pie!

Dallas, SD, NO, Colts. I don't do spreads and don't pay the vig.

Should I be afraid for d'B in FLA?

Birdman said...

Fenway - That Buttermilk pie looks divine. I'll have to go there next time I'm in the Holy City. D'Blank was duly impressed. Sat on a bench in White Point Gardens and fired up a Monte Cristo. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Woody said...

The home teams win these games @ 80 per cent of the time. The only visiting team that looks like they can win are the Cowboys but I have to pick the Vikings out of respect for Farve.