Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I only vote for losers

I haven't voted for the winning Presidential candidate since 1992. Several times during my losing streak I held my nose and voted for the "lesser of two evils" and at least once I voted for a 3rd party candidate, but none of them worked out.

In '92 I voted for a young guy who didn't have a lot of experience, but he was charismatic and said all the right things about leaving the old ways of Washington behind. He was also wrapped in the mantle of JFK, and had a cool photo of himself meeting the great man in the Rose Garden when the lad was just 16. He had a strong and accomplished wife -- a successful corporate lawyer with an Ivy league pedigree to match her husband's. I found this guy very inspiring and voted for him with enthusiasm. Once.

I think this is part of why I'm having a hard time jumping on the Obama band wagon. I find these parallels a little spooky, and like a badly jilted lover, I don't want to be disappointed again by misplaced faith in an articulate do-nothing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've pulled the lever on my share of losers as well. I just hope the choice in November is McCain and Obama. At least I can live with either one. If the choice is between Clinton and Romney we should all dispair.

Anonymous said...

Whoever it might come down to, we will be dealing with the ghosts of Bush/Cheney for some time. I don't think the country could handle any more of their successes.

Anonymous said...

Does the question of whether or not there is any actual substance to Sen. Obama trouble you?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what substance means anymore. The clowns we currently have were "loaded" with substance and look how that turned out. My only concern with McCain is that he will be appointed judges and I don't think the constitution can stand any more activist republican judges.

Anonymous said...

Birdman, I just have to move my lips. You said it all.

Anonymous said...

And this from today's NY Times Gail Collins: "Some of the Democratic resistance to Obama’s magic comes from people who are wary of politicians who want to win their hearts. Every great candidate has golden moments when the campaign merges perfectly into the zeitgeist of the people. But sooner or later it passes, and you’re left with a tired, flawed human being making a pitch to crowds of slightly deflated citizens. One of Hillary’s selling points is that we’re pre-deflated. We’ve known her so well for so long.
The Obama let-down would be way harder to handle..."
None-the-less, as Wilde once said, "we all have our feet in the mud, but some of us are staring at the stars."